Thursday, October 11, 2007

Muffin Madness



It's finally over.
It was fun, though. Great turnout. The tip jar alone made $90. (each dollor put in caused the muffin men to break out into the "Do you know the muffin man?" song)
We netted about $500, which is really good.
Between this event and room mom and weekly library assistant, I've been meeting LOTS of people. I've prayed a LOT to find someone this month to bring into the ward. I invited about 30 people to Womens' Conference and to church last Sunday (primary program, we made invitations for the kids' friends/teachers) and to watch conference with us in our home... no one's taking me up on it! not yet.
my next goal is to invite lots of women to come to 3rd hour relief society with me, because you don't have to join the church to come to that -- maybe some women would really love that association, and i'd be teaching, so....
i'm rambling.
wasn't conference great? wow.
i made little charts with blank ties and apostles' photos under each one so the kids could color in the corresponding patterns when each one stood up to speak... it was funny. i also made 4 sets of conference bingo cards with lots of different frequently-used mormon words/pictures. we all listened hard for them and put candy corns on the ones we heard. that was fun, too.
Cassidy finished harry potter 2, we watched the movie with her last week (fast forwarded through a couple scenes...), now she's well into book #3. She's taking piano lessons with me and doing really well.
Paul is loving his pre-k class. His teacher told me today how much she adores him: "his face is just so beautiful; his nature is just so loving and kind" (yay, paul! you get the red plate for dinner tonight!) His t-ball class starts next week -- he's SO excited (didn't like soccer that much, just wants baseball).
Tom is NEVER seen without a book in his hand. It's been about 2 weeks now. He just ALWAYS is trying to read to himself or get someone else to read to him. I have an armchair in the front room, one in my office, and one in my bedroom -- they're mom's reading chairs. Tom is constantly clambering up onto them and just sitting quietly reading books to himself. it's the cutest thing i've ever seen. paul said to me the other day :"mom, tom's a reader too! you're a reader, cassidy's a reader, i'm a reader, now tommy's a reader...we're just a reading family!"
paul also asked me out of the blue the other day: "mom, which church do we go to again?" i told him the church of Jesus Christ of LDS... he says, "yeah, that's the one. the church of the lamb. NOT the abdominal church, right?" (abominable). so he IS paying attention for morning scriptures after all (that chapter was WEEKS ago, and only just surfaced in his mind this week)!
okay now i'm REALLY rambling.
good night everyone.

5 comments:

Granna said...

hey it's me!
girl, you are just too clever. the pictures are unbelivble. the muffin sale was outrages. the cconference ideas were (what can i say) amazing.
don;t forget to water my palm tree. love you and miss you, heard you're in need of a washing maachine or is that a sore subject? if you don't have a key get it from kathi. love gramps

Misty said...

You amaze me. Where do you find the time/energy/patience/motivation? Wow.

Don't tell me your washing machine is still having issues...you aren't still spending your days looking for tiny little tears in all your clothes are you? UGH!

Brandon and Kristy said...

It's good to hear an update on your family. I love your idea about making invitations to the primary program. This month my sharing time is on "I will show my faith in Jesus Christ when I share the gospel with others." So I can give each child an invitation to make and give to a nonmember/inactive friend/family to our primary program. Do you have a copy of your invitation you can email me? Thanks for the great idea. I love that my sharing time is done now.

Kelly said...

Great job Jonelle! I'm sorry that I missed it! You forgot to remind me the night before! Yes, the Harry Potter II movie night was a big hit at the Shields house. I received the personal invite from Cassidy herself! I also witnessed Tom's love of reading first-hand! I think we read three or four books together! Great fun!

Granna said...

Jonelle, I am so thankful for the wonderful wife and mother you are. You are chock-full of good works in every aspect of your life. I don't know how you squeeze in all that you do into 24/7. You are my hero. If only I couldhave grown up to be like you.