Saturday, January 29, 2011

Becoming

I was talking to a dear friend the other night about the purpose of religion. God wants eternal life for all of His children; that is, He wants them to be like Him so that they can live with Him again. Going to the temple (or the shrine or the church) each week does not make one a righteous person any more than going to the market every week makes one a good cook. The principles of the gospel are "truths packaged for application" (paraphrasing Elder Scott); they are the "go and do" items which enable us to, eventually, become like God. Not killing worms does not transform one into that higher level of being that Buddha encouraged; but becoming the type of person who would not injure another living creature with their thoughts, words or actions is the lofty goal of this life.

Commenting on Alma 12:12-14, Elder Dallin Oaks said, "From such teachings we conclude that the Final Judgement is not just an evaluation of a sum total of good and evil acts- what we have done. It is an acknowledgment of the final effect of our acts and thoughts- what we have become. It is not enough for anyone just to go through the motions. The commandments, ordinances and covenants of the gospel are not a list of deposits required to be made in some heavenly account. The gospel of Jesus Christ is a plan that shows us how to become what our Heavenly Father desires us to become" (Ensign, November 2000).

Living the principles of the gospel (or the righteous teachings of a prophet)is a constant process of 'watching our thoughts, words and deeds' (Mosiah 4:30); keeping unworthy,accusing or condemning thoughts (of others as well as of ourselves) is a daily, sometimes an hourly, struggle. But this private victory is what becoming sanctified is all about. Brigham Young said, "I will put my own definition to the term sanctification...when the spirit reigns predominant and triumphs over the flesh and rules, governs and controls...this I call sanctification" (Book of Moromon Student Manual, pg 194). He goes on to say that we will never be totally free of the temptations to sin while in the flesh. We will more or less feel the effects of sin as long as we live in mortality.

I see the ordinances of the gospel/temple as the means of truly bringing the power of Godliness into our lives. Not by virtue of our just going to the temple or going to church will we be transformed into that 'new creature in Christ' but by humbly pondering how to more faithfully live the principles and covenants (what lack I yet?) and acting on the promptings we receive. Each success at overcoming those natural tendencies to slip, brings a drop of oil (or a greater measure of light) to our being so that when we meet the Bridegroom, we have become filled with light and are comfortable in His presence.

What are our thoughts, words and deeds leading us to become
?

3 comments:

Melyssa said...

Lori, thanks for this important reminder. I think to some extent we have all "gone through the motions" at one time or another, forgetting the true purpose of our being here, which is to become like our Savior and Heavenly Father. I have been reminded this year through all our trials, that these trials are actually helping me to become what I otherwise would not have become without them. :) Our Heavenly Father knows each of us so well that He will "bless" us with experiences that will be for our good, yet it is up to us what we will become because of them. We can become bitter, angry, frustrated, hurt, or we can become humble, accepting, loving...I hope I am choosing to become the latter, because I truly want to return to live with my Heavenly Father again some day. :)

YOSHIKO said...

This is difficult for me, but I understand what you want to tell. FYI: the precept of my grandma, parents, uncles and aunts (a kind of religion) is that we should not pray to be happy and should pray to be able to make an effort to be happy. It is a big idea, isn't it? As a result, I have to think by my self what I should do. It's tough for me :)

Granna said...

It is a very big idea. I love your parent's teachings because they put the responsibility for being happy right on us, individually (which is where it belongs). It is tough for me, too. Like Melyssa said above, God gives us the experiences which are tough so that we can grow when we react appropriately.