Monday, November 7, 2011

Observe & Keep

Our ward and stake have been talking a lot lately about 'the fire of the covenant'.

I've been pondering these words. I did a search on my ipod scriptures and came up with a lot of "observe TO keep" or "observe" something and "keep" it. Four of five temple covenants use the wording "observe and keep the law..." (one says "accept" the law)

ob·serve/əbˈzərv/
Verb:

1. Notice or perceive (something) and register it as being significant.
2. Watch (someone or something) carefully and attentively.

When scientists observe something, they really study it out; put it under a microscope and try to understand it.

I believe the wording of the covenant is deliberate. Heavenly Father wants us to OBSERVE these laws and then KEEP them according to the enlightenment we receive from that continual observing.I've been trying to do this with covenants...trying to better understand the laws being entered into, the significance of the signs and tokens associated with the law etc. It is remarkable how God will bless us with insight and ideas on how to more fully keep our covenants so that He can then "endow us with power from on high". He wants to bless us but it requires effort; more than just 'going to the temple'. Let the ordinances of the temple 'go through you', change your heart and thus your behavior.

2 comments:

Melyssa said...

Thank you for this - I think I need to do more observing and keeping, rather than just going through the motions. I will definitely have this in my mind the next time I attend the temple. :)

Kathi said...

Nice- thanks. Don't "watch" the ordinance workers sitting up front :) That is my least favorite thing to do (sitting up there) everything else..... wonderful!