Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Good stuff


As with companions so with books(or websites?). We may choose those which make us better, more intelligent, more appreciative of the good and the beautiful in the world, or we may choose the trashy, the vulgar, the obscene, which will make us feel as though we've been "wallowing in the mire." David O. McKay

If we know the books at the bedside, we know much about the man.
(An unstaged pix of my bedstand: Discourses of GBH Part II, Birthday card from Steve-which I read several time a day), little book of gratitude-which is empty still, but I'm really grateful for lots of stuff, foot cream, Mister's fine tooth comb)

An unliterary man may be defined as one who reads books once only..

I can't imagine a man really enjoying a book and reading it only once.

Clearly one must read every good book at least once every ten years.

The sure mark of an unliterary man is that he considers "I've read it already" to be a conclusive argument against reading a work...Those who read great works, on the other hand, will read the same work ten, twenty or thirty times during the course of his life.

C.S. Lewis

No comments: