Saturday, February 23, 2008

Sick of being Sick!

I took Megan to the doctor on a Monday, she had a sinus infection. The following Thursday Brandon was sick. He was sick for a few days, including his birthday. Then Spencer got sick the next Monday and the rest of us got sick on Tuesday. When I say sick I am not talking about a little cold. This was BAD: runny nose, sore throat, cough, fever, chills, stomach pain and some of us even threw-up. By Thursday Spencer seemed better. Friday the girls were doing better except Megan had a terrible rash all over her body, but Spencer was sick again. He seemed worse than before, so I took him to the doctor. (His oxygen was fine, his breathing sounded good, and his ears looked good, so he must have just gotten another cold) Sunday we were doing better and all able to get out of bed. Tuesday I started fevering and chilling again. Wednesday Brandon got an unbearable pain in his tooth. He went into our dentist and was told he had an infection under his crown. The dentist gave him an antibiotic and pain killers. Thursday Brandon was still in pain and as he was getting ready to go to institute he threw-up. He crawled back into bed and spent the rest of the night there. His infection spread into his sinus cavity. Friday the dentist sent him to an endodontist (try finding one of those working on a Friday afternoon... nearly impossible!) We found one, but he was not participating with our insurance, but had to go to him anyway because we couldn't find anyone else. If Brandon couldn't get in the infection would spread behind his eye. It turns out that the dentist who did the root canal, three years ago, left a piece of the file (the instrument that is used to pull out the roots) in Brandon's root. Also normal people have three roots, but Brandon has four. His fourth root was cleaned out but never filled, so he has had a hollow canal for three years just sitting there as a breeding ground for bacteria. When the Endodontist drilled into the fourth canal puss came oozing out. He tried to get the file out, but the canal was too small, so he was unable too. That will be in Brandon's canal until the resurrection. Brandon threw-up again last night because the antibiotic is such a strong dosage. This morning he is doing better, as long as he is on Ibuprofen. The left side of his face is all swollen. This picture was taken this morning when a lot of the swelling has gone down. Hopefully things can only get better from here... right??

7 comments:

C-Dawg said...

Holy cow. You guys are just getting it all out of the way for the next couple years. Maybe if you found that dentist from a few years ago he would fix it all for free (if you mentioned you were going to send a letter to the Utah dentistry board). Hope everyone feels better soon.

Kathi said...

WOW! You & G'ma have something in common though. She has a piece of file in her tooth too. Hope your whole family feels better.

Brandon and Kristy said...

It's the same dentist that tried to help me out when I went in on Wednesday. I think that I will mention to him that I'd like for him to give us some free work or maybe cut us a check for the $300+ that this whole thing has cost so far.

Misty said...

wow....that REALLY stinks! I can't even imagine having everyone sick for so long. An infection like that can be SUPER dangerous. I am so glad you found someone to fix it that day. I'm sure it is expensive though. I really hope everyone gets better soon. I wish there was something I could do to help.

gramps & grams said...

you poor things. it shows in B's eyes how you all must have felt.remember...it's always darkest before the dawn..or as the song says "pick yourself up dust yourself off and start all over again" love ya all gramps

Granster said...

Wow Brandon. You look like you went 12 rounds and lost the fight. That stinks about the drill left in your mouth - I hear that happens once in a while. I hope you guys all feel better. And Brandon - are you flossing?

Granna said...

Gargle with Listerine a.m. snd before bed to kill bacteria (and have sweet breath for Kristy)!