Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Julian

With a three-day weekend for Veteran's Day I explored Julian, California by way of the Newport Beach Temple and San Clemente.
This is one of my 'favorite' temples because of the California Mission theme inside and out. The first room is a glorious scene of the beach with a BYU cougar hiding along the back wall :o) so of course I love being there. The doors are all dark wood and mission style, arched at top. Just an exquisite California House of the Lord.







I drove down the coast from Newport to San Clemente trying to find a place to camp. Doheney was closed and another was $50 a night!!! There was a beautiful full moon that night so I walked all around the campground at 9pm, watching and listening to the surf. The next morning I walked along the beach for over an hour:








It rained all day in the cute town of Julian but I enjoyed the shops and the food. I slept in my "crib" that night in a campground off in the woods. In the morning I walked all over the campground seeing over 40 wild turkeys, over 15 deer and some hawks.




I took the most obscure back-roads way back to Carlsbad and went to church with the Little Marshes. Julian is famous for its pies so I brought a delicious Mountain Berry Pie that we (and Dad and Mom) enjoyed.

It was just a delightful little break from the routine of real life. With my "crib" mattress and a clean bill of health from my recent mammogram, I am destined to be able to have many more inexpensive little adventures in the future.

No comments: