Thursday, December 8, 2011

A Thankful Thanksgiving

Well, my cup runneth over as I remember my Thanksgiving vacation this year.
I've been driving to Utah for over 40 years now and I can probably count on one hand the times I haven't loved the drive (probably those trips with screaming kiddies in the back if I remembered them - although our kids just lounged all over the back with no seats or seat belts...shudder/smile).

Friday, Saturday and Sunday were spent at the B Marsh home. It was just three days of heaven. Megan and I went out for her belated birthday lunch and returned just in time to see Cory & co pulling up in the driveway. I loved reading to the kiddies, playing Wi with Brandon until the wee-smas, watching others play Wi, babysitting so the 3 married couples could enjoy each other at dinner/ or Chelsea & Marvin's, and going to church together as a family. Just three of the most enjoyable days!

Since I forgot my camera this trip, here is a picture of me smiling and truly loving reading Spencer and Ryan a Disney story for the hundredth time; here is another of me rolling my eyes as Micah corrects me on what I am reading (storytelling won't ever be the same when they can all read; I can't get away with anything) :o)
Here is one of Micah curled up in my arm as we fell asleep watching the (too scary) How To Train a Dinosaur, and here is one of my sweet Megan and I at Applebees celebrating her blessed birth. My last 'favorite picture in my memory' is giving Chelsea and Marvin a big hug.

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday were spent on Temple Square at the library and the temple. I loved being at the library and got a lot of work done for the Brinleys (and a Shields family that married into the Brinleys). Monday night was disappointing when my 'date' did not materialize but I walked all around Temple Square anyway and really enjoyed the evening. Here is a picture of me and the organist in the tabernacle; I loved being alone in that hallowed building reflecting on all the saints who have sat there over the years while listening to him practice an intricate Christmas piece. Tuesday I attended the temple and marveled anew at the pioneer sacrifices to erect that majestic house of the Lord. I put the 3 Fishes on the prayer roll (thanks Dad for reminding me) here and at the next 3 temples of the trip. I just loved being at the library again for three days; I love this work and am always blessed by my service for those who have gone before.
There are some new condos for sale on the corner of west temple and south temple...hmmmmmm

Wednesday night I spent at the Bells. Six of us played Ticket To Ride and Carol and I talked into the wee-smas as if 40 years had not passed away since we fortuitously first met at Deseret Towers. Thanksgiving morning we all ran/walked around the Mt Timp Temple for a fund raiser for a sick child. I actually discovered I can run a bit! Here is a picture of us all around the table enjoying a delicious brunch after our jog-a-thon. They have always made me feel welcome as part of their family.
Good friends/good times/good memories.

I drove to Ephraim and spent a few hours with Larry and his sister, hubby and down syndrome son. Here is a picture of Larry and I looking at his amazing paintings in his front room before they get sent to some galleries in AZ.
Here is a beautiful shot of Fairview Canyon (covered in snow) as I took an obscure route to get to Green River, Utah before I finally stopped because of darkness.
It was an enjoyable Thanksgiving day filled with love and beauty.

Friday morning the sunrise found me driving through the gorgeous roads of Arches National Park en route to Monticello temple. My picture can not capture all the beauty of this area. I missed Karen McVey Wells but left a note on her door before driving south in the late afternoon sun through the Navajo reservation scenic highway lands toward Snowflake, AZ temple. Well, this was just a gorgeous drive at this time of day and no picture can capture the colors of the red rocks and mountains in that warm light and shadows.
I missed the last session so I slept in my 'crib' in the temple parking lot with Angel Moroni looking down on me from that glowing temple all night. COLD but a sweet night. 7a.m. session and on to Mesa temple through another obscure route (dirt roads, even, out of Snowflake!) I stopped in Payson, AZ and bought some very fun Christmas gifts! Can't wait to give them!
Mesa Temple grew into a very odd location as the years have gone by. Another old temple reminiscent of Salt Lake on a tiny scale. Here is a picture of Jenny & co in their cute home. How fun to have a brief visit before I headed west for home.

I am so thankful for an inspiring & wonderful vacation filled with loving friends and family. It wasn't a traditional Thanksgiving but it was filled with peace and the sweet companionship of the Holy Ghost. What more could I ask for?

No comments: